Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Evolution of our Logo

When I first became the owner of HelmetNation, I thought it would be fun to give HelmetNation a new look and sort of put my stamp on the business. John had done a phenomenal job with HelmetNation and I just wanted to continue the great work he had done. I actually paid to have the logo developed by a company called Logoworks. They did a solid job for what I paid them. I knew I had to have a helmet in the design and I knew that I wanted red and blue to be the primary colors. We went through several different designs including this which was one of the first ideas.



I really liked the text of HelmetNation in that logo the incorporated helmet was interesting. However, another design idea that came with the above design (I, for some reason, did not keep a copy of that design) had the shield part of the logo in it. I wanted a better looking helmet for the logo and in looking at the shield thought it would be sweet to have the helmet be negative space in the design. Being a Nebraska fan my whole life, my favorite logo they have is the Helmet Huskers logo as you see here.



So, I asked them to incorporate that helmet into the logo. After a few more minor adjustments, we had basically the logo you see at the top of the blog. Now, here is where I would like to give a huge shout-out to Mike Gardner. Mike is a great graphic artist and he put the finishing touches on the HelmetNation logo that gave it a 3-D look. Mike also graciously helped me have some fun with the logo by coloring it with different schemes.





I really appreciate all the great work that Mike has done for me. So, recently I had the idea that I should put a baseball batting helmet and a hockey goalie mask in place of the football helmet in the logo to use for those sport specific instances. I asked Mike if he would try and make those for me and he did a great job. Take a look for yourself.




Personally, I was really impressed with his work. While the football helmet version of the logo will remain the main logo, I plan on using the baseball and hockey logos for baseball and hockey promos. Thanks again, Mike!

No comments:

Post a Comment